Saturday, November 20, 2010

Homemade Donuts (Coconut Flour)

Thanksgiving is coming up this week and we will be gathering with my family in Michigan.  One of the things I miss most about living in Michigan in the fall is the Cider Mills.  The one we frequented when I was younger had walking trails through the beautiful fall foliage alongside streams.  We would walk and then wait in line while watching the fresh cider being pressed, smelling hot donuts.  Mmmmm!  We would order cider and donuts, which were handed to us hot in a paper bag with the grease seeping through.  So, in anticipation of our cider mill trip and me wanting a healthier, low sugar, gluten-free, grain-free option, I decided upon making and bringing my own.

I successfully experimented on the kids and Donnie this morning, and as always forgot to take a picture before cutting them in half to serve them (so they could try multiple).
What was left when I remembered to take the pic!  Cinnamon sugar, toasted coconut and chocolate glaze with sprinkles.




I just purchased Norpro donut pans here and received them yesterday.  I adapted the recipe from comfybelly.com, which has great recipes using coconut flour and for those on SCD diets.  Since I'm mainly doing grain-free, gluten-free, and trying to reduce my sugar (even honey) intake, here's my recipe:

Vanilla Coconut Flour Donuts (or cupcakes)

Ingredients (makes 6-8 donuts or cupcakes):

  • 1/2 cup of coconut flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 6 eggs (I often use liquid egg whites for lower calories and convenience)
  • 2 Tablespoons honey
  • 2 Tablespoons Xylitol 
  • Stevia equivalent to 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 tablespoon of vanilla
  • 1/2 cup of unsalted butter (coconut butter, coconut oil, or regular oil will work as well)

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Blend all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
  3. Blend in all the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
  4. Mix until well-blended.
  5. Fill donut pan circles about 2/3 of the way full with batter.
  6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Toppings

Toasted Coconut:  Dip donut in some warm honey, then into toasted coconut. 

Cinnamon Sugar:  Mix: 1 Tbsp sugar (I used 1/2 xylitol, 1/2 sugar) and 1 tsp cinnamon into a small tupperware container.  Put warm donut in and shake to coat.

Chocolate glaze:  I made a glaze of water, powdered xylitol and unsweetened cocoa powder, then topped with sprinkles that I had around the house.  It came out runnier than expected.  Next time, I think I'll try melting some dark chocolate to dip them in.


The kids and Donnie all LOVED the donuts.  I loved that they had less about 1 tsp of honey each (not including the toppings, which adds a minimal amount and none if using xylitol), 1 egg each and about 4 grams of fiber.  I hope you enjoy them too!

No comments:

Post a Comment